A bucolic landscaping of the Trianon gardens, the Hameau de la Reine is an integral part of the Domaine de Marie-Antoinette. Timeless, far from the tumult of the Palace, this place exalts the imagination.
In 1783, Marie-Antoinette ordered her architect Richard Mique, the construction of this magnificent set of factories. It was completed in 1786 along an artificial pond. Despite the fact that rural architecture is borrowed from various streams, this place gives the impression of a great unity.
It was for Queen Marie Antoinette a place of receptions and walk. This small rural village consisted of pleasure buildings: the mill which was only a decoration, the boudoir, the house of the Queen ... but also houses for the farm which was also to play a teaching role.
Access to the Queen's Hamlet is via the entrance to one of the two Trianons.
NOTRE DAME MARKET PLACE
This market, a true crossroad of colours and flavours, is the loveliest in the Ile-de-France region !
It was built during king Louis XIII's reign and is the second market of France propose some fresh local products. It still at the same place from the XVII century, and on the king's request, this area needed "a place where it is possible to find every amenities, the covered market, benches, stalls, other necessary things to accomodate the merchants and to cover their merchandises".
The market takes place everyday and is one of the major commercial centre of the city.
Notre Dame covered market is open every day except on mondays, while the market around the square Notre Dame is open every tuesdays, fridays and sundays morning.
THE HALL OF MIRRORS
Economic prosperity is revealed in the number and size of the 357 mirrors bedecking the 17 arches opposite the windows, demonstrating that the new French manufacture could rival the Venetian monopoly on mirror manufacturing.
The Hall of Mirrors, the most famous room in the Palace, was built to replace a large terrace designed by the architect Louis Le Vau, which opened onto the garden. The terrace originally stood between the King’s Apartments to the north and the Queen’s to the south, but was awkward and above all exposed to bad weather, and it was not long before the decision was made to demolish it. Le Vau’s successor, Jules Hardouin-Mansart, produced a more suitable design that replaced the terrace with a large gallery. Work started in 1678 and ended in 1684.
THE VERSAILLES GARDENS
An opulent leafy setting for the Palace of the Sun King: what better way to describe the magnificent gardens designed by Le Nôtre around the Palace of Versailles.
Once covering some 8,000 hectares, the Palace of Versailles’ grounds were divided into hunting areas (accounting for most of the land) and decorative gardens. The latter are what has become known as French style gardens and remain a reference among 17th-century European gardens. Designed around an infinite perspective axis , they include 77 hectares of elegant alleyways lined with marble statues, some of which lead on to superb bosquets (groves).